1958 PACI 6-Man Football – Team
The sport of football in Prince Albert started in the mid 1950’s. PACI, Riverside Collegiate and St.Mary all started 6-man programs with very little equipment. PACI would have a total of 6 helmets, of which 2 were leather, to share among players in the first days of the program. The Saskatchewan High School Athletic Association recognized the need for more protective equipment and made helmets and pads available to the schools.
PACI would play their first game at Riverside in 1957 with one of the teachers volunteering to be the referee. In subsequent games, former player Al Olander would volunteer to be the official and recruit others, to form the first referee’s association.
In 1957 the PACI team would compete in the Provincial final where they were edged by Yorkton in the two game total point series. In 1958, eight players from that team were joined by 5 others to form a very strong Golden Bear team.
In the 2 game northern final they would take on Lloydminster, losing the first game 46-35, but would rally a week later for a convincing 47-6 win at PACI to advance to their second straight provincial final.
That final was played against Wynyard with PACI winning both games handily to give Prince Albert its first ever Football Title – the Saskatchewan 6-man High School crown!
The success of the 6 man format would be modified to 8-man the following year and in 1961 converted to 12-man.